Wednesday, January 7, 2009

On The Easel-Still Life Painting Demo-Step 4

"I never finish a painting -- I just stop working on it for a while." - Arshile Gorky



Step 4: Working on the vase...using Burnt Sienna, Indanthrone Blue along center and sides of vase. Added several glazes of *Perylene Violet (one of my new Daniel Smith colors), along the right hand edge above rose and the lower half of the vase. Removed the lines and dots of miskit on the bowl of the vase, softenging some, eliminating others, as they were too sharp and overdone. Deepened the colors on the upper half of the vase also. Miskit removed here too, and selected some of the dots to save and others were eliminated. Adding more glazes of colors to the rose, slowly developing its shape. Starting to develop the folds on the lace cloth. As I develop the painting, I can see that the background will need to be punched up.....will do this towards the end. Now, I need to spend some time working on the cloth, painting out the lace holes, and adding more color, texture and depth to the table. Need to start developing the cast shadow on the vase and across the table as well.

*Perylene Violet...this is an interesting color! It's proving to be a great color to blend, glaze and deepen all my other reds, pinks with. Here is the description of this color:

*A deep, luscious, grape-juicy reddish-violet.The masstone is dark and intense, shifting in tints toward a rich red violet with a brownish-purple cast. Because of its relative neutrality, it’s a natural-looking choice for portrait, landscape or botanical work—imagine how good it looks with complementary greens. It also makes strong, interesting shadows.
ASTM Lightfastness Rating: Excellent
· Tranparency: Transparent
· Staining: Medium

This painting is close to being done.....at this stage, I run the risk of diving in without thinking through my steps and ruining it, in my haste to be finished with it. So I will set it aside for a day or two, while I work on another painting.
Thanks for viewing my site! Your comments are welcome....

Yours in art, Laura Leeder
lleeder@telus.net
http://www.lauraleeder.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...