Friday, February 27, 2009

On The Easel - Completed Paintings

"Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


I was attracted to the variations in colors on all these pears and wanted to paint a still life with them. The pear with leaf attached was a lucky find.


This painting is titled, "A Fruitful Pairing"
The size is 9" x 13"
UV Varnished, on 200lb watercolor paper




Here is a 2nd painting I did with the pears,
adding the striped bowl was fun.








This painting is titled, "A Fruitful Gathering"
This size is 8 1/2" x 15"
UV varnished on 200lb watercolor paper
Both pieces are available for sale.

I recently changed my watercolor paper. In the past I was using Arches 140lb cold pressed.
I became very comfortable with this paper and could anticipate how my paints would react and was quite happy using it. As I have started varnishing many of my paintings, I was looking for a heavier weight to ensure my painting would stay taught even after the layers of varnish were added. I am trying Saunders Waterford 200lb cold pressed. I like the weight of it, and will probably never go back to 140lb paper. The paper has a lot more tooth and my paints react differently. It's a little harder to achieve the clean edges I'm used to. This too shall pass!
Have a great day, thanks for stopping by!

Laura Leeder
email: lleeder@telus.net
website: http://www.lauraleeder.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...