Saturday, August 21, 2010

Painting in progress - with Raku Pottery, Birds, Grapes & Lace

"Each day is a new canvas to paint upon. Make sure your picture is full of life and happiness, and at the end of the day you don't look at it and wish you had painted something different."   - Author Unknown



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Step 2:  Started to develop the back grape leaves, grapes, pottery bowl and table cloth.  
 
I am using several colors for the grapes, both warm and cool.  I paint each grape individually, pre-wetting some and dropping in color, adding color onto the dry paper with others.  I will try to save most of the highlights while glazing the colors on the grapes rather than using a miskit.  
 
On the pottery bowl I am using sedimentary colors and primatek mineral colors.  With my inital glaze, I pre-wet the bowl and charged in my colors, working quickly....adding salt for additional texture and keeping in mind where I want the bowl to be lightest....I have little or no color and blot as needed.  I enjoy this step!  I don't have control....I simply trust in the process.....knowing that the results will  produce pleasant surprises!!
I allow this layer to dry completely and move on to another area, before coming back in and assesing the colors and placement in the next glaze of the bowl.
 
I have also added a soft, lite value glaze of yellows and pinks to the tablecloth.
 
       
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

Step 3-Continuing to develop the leaves, grapes and bowl.  I have painted in the lower background and have started to develop the table.  Although I have added several medium to dark glazes of pinks & blues to the tablecloth, it now looks pale in comparision to the strong colors in the background.  I will continue to add more colors to the table cloth as I move around the rest of the painting. 
 
Grape leaves: after glazing an initial wash of color on all leaves and allowing it to dry, I used miskit to paint in the veins of the leaves.  The problem I have now is to separate the leaves from the grapes and the background.  Hmmm....I will have to think about this for a bit.  
 
I am also concerned about the middle cut-outs on the cloth.  They look too busy against the "batik like" background, and will be difficult to shadow.  In hind-sight, I wish I would have left them out.  Hopefully, I can make this work.  Too late to go back now!  
 
The little birds are receiving their 1st glazes.....I think they add a bit of fun to the piece.
 
More later.....the sun is shining and my yard is beckoning.  I can hear the faint crys of alarm from my flowers, as they watch the weeds approach ever closer.  An hour or so of weeding will keep them a bay a little while longer. 
 
Enjoy your day!
Yours in art, Laura Leeder
Email me at:  lleeder@telus.net   
Visit my website:  http://www.lauraleeder.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...