Saturday, November 6, 2010

On The Easel - The Inspiration Behind My New Painting, "September's Gift"

"Pleasure is spread through the earth, in stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find."
      ~William Wordsworth, 1806


















"September's Gift"...my latest painting.  This still life started with the purchase of the pottery bowl.  This bowl was made by a potter from the Wynndel Mudders Pottery Club. I attended their "Rutabaga Event" last
August.  A lunch was served offering 3 different soups (one with rutabagas, of course) and was served in a variety of bowls that were made for this occasion.  The bowl you chose for your soup was yours to keep. This one was my choice!  I was drawn to it, because of the rich green glazes and the way the color "dripped" down it's sides.  I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and paint it.

The peaches came from the tree in our yard and the hibiscus from a small tree that I had just purchased from our local greenhouse(Morris Flowers).  In September, when other flowers and shrubs are fading, the vibrant blossoms of Hibiscus (Rose of Sharon) are still blooming and so beautiful against the backdrop of late summer and early fall color's.  It was the perfect choice to complete this still life.  As I was photographing this set-up outside, I couldn't help thinking how the flower, the fruit, and the bowl were all "gifts from nature" and hence, the title was born.

"September's Gift" painted on 300lb watercolor paper
Retail: $250.00
Framed: 14.5”x15.25"

The painting will be part of the Painted Turtle Gallery, "Small Gems" Christmas Show and Sale. The show opens on November 27th and runs through to December 24th, 2010 and will feature a wonderful variety of gifts for yourself or someone special. 


If you would like to purchase this painting, please contact myself (lleeder@telus.net) or the Painted Turtle
Gallery (windinn@shaw.ca). To see more of my paintings visit my website: http://www.lauraleeder.com/

Yours in Art,
Laura Leeder

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...