Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On The Easel - Spring Teacup Nearly Completed

"Every moment in planning saves three or four in execution."  -Crawford Greenwalt

















©Laura Leeder, April 2011, Watercolor In Progress

I did very little on this one yesterday,  as I wasn't in the mood to tackle the pattern.  Instead, I started a new sketch and transferred it to w/c paper....I will start working on it today and continue with this one.

There are 3 major challenges for me with this teacup painting.   The color, the pattern and of course, painting so small.... the size is 5"x7".   This one required more pre-planning and testing of colors, before I started to paint.  On scrap w/c paper I tried out several colors and made my selection from the results of my test glazes.

Some of the colors I am using are: aureoline yellow, quinacridrone gold, burnt sienna, mangaese blue, phthalo blue, Ultramarine blue, green apapite genuine, deep sap green and my favorite......permanent green light.
(all Daniel Smith paints)

A new color for me....it's a transparent color with high staining properties, has a very long value range and creates clean, vibrant washes.     


I hope to finish this one today!

Artfully Yours,
Laura Leeder
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC




*Attend the Creston Museum's Old Fashioned Tea, this summer, and you could be the winner of one of my "Teacup" paintings!     REGISTER HERE

1 comment:

Judy said...

Yes I see what you mean, this green cup is gorgeous! Much nicer than my plain old green coffee mug. This new color is great, I love green! Good luck with this cup and your new sketch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...