Monday, May 30, 2011

On The Easel - A New Painting Featuring Apple Blossoms

"All day in the green sunny orchard , when May was a marvel of bloom, I followed the busy bee-lovers, down paths that were sweet with perfume." 
     - Margaret E. Sangster

 
 
 
Step 1
 
 
 
 
 
 







©Laura Leeder, Watercolor In Progress, May 2011
 
 
 



Step 2
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
©Laura Leeder, Watercolor In Progress
 
I have been wanting to include apple blossoms in my paintings for a long time.  This year, the timing was right, the weather co-operated and I was finally able to photograph several "set up's". 
 
I have tried to take photo's indoors, adjusting the lighting... shooting in front of a window... and while some of them have turned out fine, there is no comparison to the strong light and shadows you get when taking photo's outdoors. 
 
More importanly, I get great pleasure from the experience of being outdoors while shooting my set up's. 
I enjoy the activity that goes on around me....robins hopping about searching for worms, hummingbirds shooting back and forth to the sugar feeders, the sound of their battle cries as they charge across the sky defending their territories. 

The scent of blossoms in the air, the sound of  tractors in the distance, a horse neighing....just to name a few.  The sights, sounds, scents and activities I experence, are an important part of my painting process, they connect me to nature in a profound and satisfying way.   
 
It is that simplicity and joy of everyday life that perhaps I am trying to share in my still life and floral paintings.  Something I can't quite express with words....
 
Wishing you a "Creative" day,
Laura Leeder,
Watercolor Artist,
Creston, BC

4 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Laura, I really enjoyed your post and the apple blossoms are looking super!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Christiane! I will spend an hour or so on this piece today, then I'm eager to get outside and play in my weed beds!

Judy said...

Your painting is going to look fabulous! Enjoy painting (and your weed beds)!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Judy! I turned my weed bed's into good looking flower beds! I will do my best with the painting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...