Saturday, November 26, 2011

On The Easel - A Star In The Making?

"There wouldn't be a sky full of stars if we were all meant to wish on the same one." 
    - Frances Clark


Step 1

















© A Star Mandala, Watercolor In Progress, Nov. 2011
    Laura Leeder

In my last post I indicated that I usually have 3 to 4 paintings on the go.....I may work on all of them for short periods each day until one or two are completed.  I then start another and continue in this way. 
In the case of this painting, it captured my attention almost immediately with the first strokes of color and held it until I had completed the piece.  It was such fun!

In this first step I used Daniel Smith Manganese Blue Hue and French Ultramarine paints, allowing the colors to mingle on wet paper.  I then added salt to the mix and let it dry.


Step 2








 




 



 
©A Star Mandala, Watercolor In Progress, Nov.2011
   Laura Leeder

What a difference!  This is one of the qualities I especially love about watercolor.  In this 2nd step I used permanent green light, along with green apatite genuine and sugilite genuine-both primatek mineral paints. Once again I dropped in salt and sprayed water across the paper to move and blend the paints.  Bits of mica from the mineral paints glisten when the light hits them.  It's a subtle but pleasing effect. 

I have a few adjustments to make on the finished piece (this is not it) and will then post it tomorrow, providing I can get a decent photogragh.

Artfully Yours,
Laura Leeder
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Laura! Great background paintings! I googled primatek paints, interesting. Looking forward to the finished mandala!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy! I've been experimenting with several of the primatek colors, mostly in my backgrounds as many are sedimentary and though beautiful, not suitable for china and flowers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...