Saturday, November 12, 2011

A "Still Life" With "No Life" - Rescuing A Failed Watercolor painting

"To improve a painting, you must be willing to make mistakes, even big ones." 
    ~Earl Grenville Killeen

















©Hydrangea Blossoms, Unfinished Watercolor Painting
   Laura Leeder, Nov.2011

I set this painting aside some time ago, as I did not like the way it was progressing.  It was a "still life" with "no life".  I was so excited to paint these vibrant pink blossoms....yet the further into the painting....the less I liked it.  I couldn't quite place what is was that bugged me, and after some time, I simply hid it away. 
I came across it again, while cleaning out my studio a few weeks ago and instantly saw what it was that had bothered me before. (there were a few problems)  And yet those unfinished blosssoms had possibilities.....   Could this one be rescued? 
I started playing with the idea of cropping it down and found two pleasing possibilities.      
















I started working on the right blossom, while thinking through the possibilites and here's what I've decided.  It was not going to work as a still life....however, by cropping the painting to feature a portion of the blossoms, I think I can rescue this one. 
While I may not crop it exactly as above....I will attempt to get one and possibly two, small florals out of this failed piece.  Wish me luck!

Artfully Yours,
Laura Leeder
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC

5 comments:

Judy said...

I can't see anything wrong with the still life, but I know the feeling when something is bothering you about a painting. It is hard to look past that.
I keep my fingers crossed, hope you get two beautiful florals!

Win Dinn, Etc. said...

I love this cropping - so gorgeous and with great possibility for play!

Laura Leeder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christiane Kingsley said...

Laura, like Judy, I can't see anything wrong with the original, but you know how you feel about it. The cropped version looks beautiful!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You all for your comments!

Actually the section of painting with the blossoms is the 2nd cut....the first was to remove the lower part of the vase, table and lace cloth(not shown here...that's the part that bothered me!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...