Thursday, January 19, 2012

On The Easel - Chrysanthemum's In Watercolor

"I like to first create an underpainting to set up the rhythm of lights and darks." 
  ~ Amanda Jones


















©Chrysanthemum's, watercolor in progress, Jan 19, 2012
   By Laura Leeder

Working slowly on the flowers, I've started with an underpainting of a lite value of New Gamboge, a warm yellow.  Followed by a 2nd glaze, slightly darker.  Several more lite value glazes have followed using New Gamboge, Permanent Yellow Deep and Pyrrol Orange.  Moving to the back mums, I've added mid-value glazes of Pyrrol Orange and Permanent Rose.  

I plan to keep the bowl of water, (a stemless wineglass) more abstract.  I've added just a touch of color to help me determine my values and will develop the flowers further before adding more color to the glass.  

More to follow....

Laura Leeder,
Watercolor Artist,
Creston, BC

6 comments:

Judy said...

I love the warm colors of the flowers!

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is looking wonderful! I love the colors!

Win Dinn, Etc. said...

Gorgeous colour, Laura!

Laura Leeder said...

Judy, Christian and Win.....Thank You! I am liking it so far....

Nora MacPhail said...

Looking good so far! I like seeing the artist's process. Have a wonderful creative weekend,
Nora

Laura Leeder said...

And the same to your Nora!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...