Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Visualize this thing that you want, see it, feel it, believe in it. Make your mental blue print, and begin to build."  ~Robert Collier



















©On the easel....floral painting, Jan 17, 2012
   Laura Leeder

This small bowl of Chrysanthemum's sat on my desk for several weeks last fall.  Each morning when I entered the studio, my heart did a flip as these cheerful, orange-red mums greeted me.  They lasted several week's and gave me much pleasure.  How could I not paint them?

I almost always start with my background and test several colors on scrap paper, before adding paint to paper.  I chose Indanthrone Blue, Deep Sap Green and Anthquinoid Red, all Daniel Smith Watercolors.  From my scrap of test paper you can see that I've charged the colors onto the paper, almost full strength, allowing them to blend.  I then add more water to the paint and charge in these lighter values.  When the paints have dried, I study the blends and consider how they look.  Do I like all the colors, are they complementary?  Would a warmer red work better?  Where's the focal point?  What colors do I want against it?  Full strength or blended?  (and more)

This bit of pre-planning gives me the confidence to lay down my first washes of color onto my paper. 


   

  My test colors for the background.   










Now on to the next step......

Enjoy your day,
Laura Leeder,
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC

3 comments:

Win Dinn, Etc. said...

I'm looking forward to watching this develop, Laura!

Judy said...

It's a fabulous background, Laura! I love to see how you work, first testing the colors for the background. Looking forward to the finished painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win and Judy! The start of a painting is always exciting for me! I so enjoy watching the colors move across the white of the paper.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...