Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Phalaenopsis, Blue Orchid - A Rare Beauty

"I do not bring beauty to people's lives; I, perhaps, draw their attention to beauty which is already there."   ~George Buytendorp 


















©Blue Phalaenopsis (Moth) Orchid, Watercolor Painting
     By Laura Leeder, March 12, 2012

Finally!  This painting is finished....whew!  I've never really paid much attention to orchids, my flowers of preference being roses, peonies, and hydrangeas.   I bought this orchid back in February and I gave it a place of honour on my studio desk.    Through my research and through the  daily connection with it while I painted, I must say, I have developed a new respect and awe for these (dare I say...) beauties?! 

"The most highly coveted of ornamental plants, the delicate, exotic and graceful orchid represents love, luxury, beauty and strength. In ancient Greece, orchids were associated with virility. 
During the Victorian era, orchid symbolism shifted to luxury, and today this sense of magnificence and artful splendor continues, with orchids representing rare and delicate beauty."  

Phalaenopsis (or Moth/Butterfly) orchids are the choice for modern arrangements because of their simplicity, elegance and of course their availability. 

This painting will be available for purchase this November at the Images Art Show and Sale, here in Creston.   I'm having it scanned for giclee prints, if it scans well, they should be available next month.   With this one out of the way, it's time to start working on the commissioned piece....

Enjoy your day, 
Laura Leeder,
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC

4 comments:

Judy said...

Oh exquisite! I love the purples and blues, and the blue in the background makes it even more beautiful! How did you get the edges of the flowers so white?

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Judy! The white edges of the flower petals is the saved white of the paper. In a few spots where I lost this edge, I went back in with a wee bit of chinese white.

Win Dinn, Etc. said...

Just lovely, Laura - visual poetry - and I'm looking forward to the commissioned piece because of this one.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win,
I'll be working on that sketch over the next few days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...