Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Blue Orchid Teacup Painting- Progress: Slow and Steady.

"Put a strong dark in early, near your center of interest, to serve as a value scale, nothing can be darker."  ~Tom Lynch

















©Teacup with orchid, watercolour in progress, April 2012
   By Laura Leeder

I've managed to carve out a few minutes over the last two day's to work on this painting.  I'm slowly glazing on light values of color, building depth and form.  This technique will help to achieve a soft, translucent glow in the teacup.  My approach to this painting was to start with the orchid blossoms and establish some of my darkest dark's almost immediately.  I am now, moving around the painting glazing light washes of color to establish the shapes of the teacup, flower and shadow.  Colors used so far:  Aureolin Yellow, Quinacridone Gold, Rose Madder Genuine, Quinacridone Violet, Manganese Blue Hue and Ultramarine Blue, all by Daniel Smith.

Tomorrow, I am posting a "surprise" so please check back!  
Have a great day,

Laura Leeder
Watercolor Artist
Creston, BC      

6 comments:

Win Dinn said...

This is looking so full of possibility, Laura - I look forward to seeing both your progress and the final painting!

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is looking so delicate and beautiful. I really like your blues...I should order some Daniel Smith:-)

Laura Leeder said...

Win, this is the fun stage for me,dropping in the initial colors, watching them spread out across the paper...sometimes fading out, sometimes merging and blending with others. Love it!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Christiane! I started with Winsor & Newton paints and I like them. When I tried a Daniel Smith color, I was so impressed with it's vibrancy that I had to try more. Now, I use them exclusively and wouldn't think of changing.

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura love your teacup series. Checked out your art at Etsy - truly lovely. I too enjoy Daniel Smith watercolors. Thanks for sharing.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Debbie, thanks for stopping by. The DS colours are just so vibrant.
I am now going over to take a look at your blog.....all the best!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...