Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blue Orchid with Teacup Painting

"Theories, methods and formulas aid in the making of art, but each artist's technique comes more from his or her personality more than anything else." 
    ~ Randall Sexton



















©Teacup with orchid, watercolour in progress, April 2012
   By Laura Leeder

I'm grounded back on earth again and I"m back in the studio!  Several more layers of color have been glazed onto this painting.  The orchids are starting to take shape.  Still a ways to go on the teacup, I am debating how to finish the inside of the cup.  Initially I was asked to paint a small orchid on the inside edge.  I think this will be too much and take away from the blossoms on the edge of the cup.  Perhaps some tea inside?  Any thoughts?

Back to the studio, have a great day!

Laura Leeder, 
Watercolour Artist, Creston,BC

13 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

This is absolutely lovely. You have such a nice delicate touch! I agree with you that an orchid painted on the inside of the cup could be too much and take away from the beauty of this painting. I love it the way it is right now!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Christiane, that's my feeling too. Leave the inside of the cup empty and let the focus be on the orchid blossoms.

Judy said...

I agree with you both, leave the cup empty (maybe some tea). Lovely painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy, no orchid for sure!

Tina Eudora said...

Geez Laura that is so beautiful! I like it better than a real cup and saucer and if it were my painting I think I would leave the cup as is, waiting for the hot tea to be added. There is a certain feeling of tension with the cup being empty that I really like!
Whatever you chose to do in the end, it is gorgeous!
Tina xo

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Tina, thanks for you lovely comments! A feeling of tension...I like! I am definitely leaning that way...

Win Dinn said...

As usual, I go against the normal flow. I think the cup needs some tea inside to ground it, and a (very tiny) orchid remnant just peeking above the tea line on the right hand side could create some proportional balance. All dependent, of course, on the finish added to the rest of the painting...

Laura Leeder said...

Okay Win, thanks for your comments!
(I was hoping to avoid that tiny orchid, because I was fed up with drawing them!) I value and will consider all comments!

Nora MacPhail said...

Wonderful whites! And the blue flowers have been painted with a nice light touch. Gorgeous.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Laura Leeder said...

Nora, thanks for stopping by and commenting, have a great weekend yourself!

John Simlett said...

Just seen your card in Judy's place, Laura - lovely. We share an interest in teacups - I drink gallons :0) - yours are exquisite.

I don't paint (pen & ink) ... but I make such a good audience!

I've become a follower of your teacups - said the Mad Hatter to the doormouse - I hope you don't mind.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi John,

Welcome and Thank You! What a wonderful quote....i'm going to use it for my one of my next teacup cards. I hope you don't mind!

All the best,

Jane said...

Lovely and delicate touch, and coming along beautifully! I think a bit of tea or coffee inside the cup would look great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...