Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Celebrating Roses - The International Herb Of The Year

"The air was fragrant with a thousand trodden aromatic herbs, with fields of lavender, and with the brightest roses blushing in tufts all over the meadows...."   
      ~William Cullen Bryant


  Celebrating the 
        ROSE, 
  Herb of the Year

  On Display in the "Tea Room"
  College Of The Rockies
  Creston, BC


  Saturday, May 12





©Miss Etiquette, Watercolour Painting 
    Laura Leeder


This year herbal organizations around the world are celebrating the International Herb of the Year - Roses. (Rosa species)


Here in Creston, BC, the local Greenheart Herbal Society and the College of the Rockies are celebrating Herb Day, this Saturday, May 12.  From 9am-4pm at the College.


They are offering various workshop on Rose gardening, decorating with roses, and of course the culinary and medicinal uses of Roses.


Many vendors(myself included) who will be offering herb & garden related products etc.
I will have available for purchase, fine art prints and a selection note cards, including of course the "teacup series"!   Please stop by and say hi!!


Contact the College for more information and to register:  (250) 428-5332
Cost to access the tearoom and vendors area is $10.00
$25 includes full access to the tearoom, vendors area and all the workshops.


To find our more about Herb Day visit www.greenhearbalsociety.org  


Did You Know?
"Rose hips have the highest natural source of Vitamin C and some claim they are quite delicious, especially when mixed with Lemon Balm or Chamomile or used in a Respiratory Tea for cedar fewer or allergies.  The hips can also be made into syrup, jelly and cookies."
(from ezherbs.net)


Wishing you a creative day, 
Laura Leeder,
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC


22 comments:

CalliopeCreations said...

Sounds like a wonderful event in a lovely setting. Enjoy.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Rose hips is a lovely addition to tea... great C boost!

Aulani Photography and BH Giveaways said...

I didnt even know roses were herbs!

Anamaria do Val said...

Your work is beautiful and romantic, Laura. I'm glad I found your blog!

BillGuestPhoto said...

i love roses!! great post!

Laura Leeder said...

Many thanks for all the lovely comments! I appreciate it!

Petite Hermine said...

That's a beautiful painting. No matter what people say, roses are one of the most beautiful flowers :)

Jane said...

Lovely , delicate and romantic watercolor and the setting is beautiful... I adore roses !

Rita Vaselli said...

Hello,Laura!I open up my day kindly, taking tea with your blog! Congratulations for your watercolor!Rita

John Simlett said...

The Rose is the symbol of England.

50 years ago we gave our babies Rose Hip Syrup from a teaspoon.

I love accents and dialects, they make our common language technicolour (see, you would spell that technicolor).

I love the way the Brits stress the H in herbs: "Hhherbs" whilst in the North Americas, the H is dropped, "erbs". We look at each other strangely when we first hear the differences, but are both far too polite to mention them. Then we enjoy them.

Love that picture, absolutly beautifully perfect.

Great post!

Judy said...

Hi Laura, I'm a bit late! This is a wonderful rose teacup, love the lace! I can only say: Have a happy Herb Day!

L.W.Roth, said...

As soon as I saw that tea cup with the rose, I thought, "Windsor Rose."
Of all my mom's bone china tea cups, her Windsor rose collection is the prettiest. I love your rendering of the lace as well as your choice of cup. --I didn't know roses were an herb or that there was an herb day. Informative post.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Wonderful lace and background. A vintage feel,,,quite lovely.

Win Dinn said...

Great venue for your lovely paintings, Laura!

Laura Leeder said...

Jane, Rita and John, thank you for your comments!

Laura Leeder said...

Judy, Linda and Cynthia, thanks, I'm glad you like this painting. I too am very fond of roses, teacups and lace.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Cynthia!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win! I've been busy printing and packaging cards for this venue.
I'm looking forward to the goodies made with roses!

Vicki Greene said...

Laura, your work is beautiful!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Beautiful work as always and a most interesting post. I intend to paint my first rose very soon:-) Have a great painting week.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Vicki, Thank You! So glad you stopped by...

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Christiane, many thanks, I look forward to seeing your rose painting!
I've no doubt it will be a treat for the eyes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...