Friday, May 4, 2012

Tea Is Poured, The End Is In Sight!

"Finishing is torture... There's always some newly seen flaw. But the little glimpses of beauty between the anxiety make it worth it."  ~Jacob Collins
















©Teacup with Orchid, Painting In Progress
   By Laura Leeder 

So close to the finish line.....but not quite there!  I've added the tea, which I now think  helps to complete/balance the picture.  I am planning to add a "surprise" detail to the inside as well.  And no, it's not an orchid!  

I still have the handle to finish painting and then adjusting values and fine detailing on the rest of the teacup.  Same with the blossoms....adjusting values, rescuing some of the white blossom edges and adding the small dot's.  Then the lace detail...

...and please, no more orchids!  At least for a while.... 

Have a great day...I'm off to the studio to finish this one!
Laura Leeder

Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC


ps: many thanks for all  the suggestions on completing this painting, I considered them all and was able to move forward.

15 comments:

renate said...

Hello Laura:) This teacup is beautiful. It looks like it has the color of a pearl. Very nice and delicate!

Rita Vaselli said...

Finishing is always difficult! I wonder why the start flowing and then ... all painters are suffering this moment.
And I too! Then when everything is done
happiness ...! Have a good weekend, Laura!!!Rita

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Renate, I just wish I was finished it! All the best...

John Simlett said...

A technical question or two?

Is the tea made the English way, with boiling water and a touch of milk?

What sort of tea is it? I'd prefer Assam but I have just discovered Rwandan tea from Africa.

Whatever, Laura, it really looks good enough to drink...and from the finest of china. :0)

Christiane Kingsley said...

You were right to add the tea after all, Laura. This looks super!

Jane said...

Love how you get the feeling of the porcelain thanks to the highlighting and with the tea inside it gives so much more depth to the whole composition. Keep it up Laura :-)

L.W.Roth, said...

That's how I feel about the portrait I just declared finished. I can still see areas that need tweaking, but if I go in again I do risk having to tweak elsewhere. With one tweak leading to another, the painting would never be finished. I think it's important to keep the left side of your brain, your analytical, perfectionist side, from driving you crazy and perhaps pushing you to overwork a painting. This watercolor is beautiful, the cup does have a pearlized look. Leave it be for the weekend then decide. You are the only one who knows where you might have done better. There's a time to move on.

You do lovely paintings. Nice, light touch.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Rita,
That is so true. And then there is the odd time when the painting almost complete's itself! Rare but beautiful when it happens! Wishing you a great weekend as well! Laura

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement Christiane! I will be so glad to have this one declared finished!

Laura Leeder said...

John, thanks for stopping by! I'm afraid it's not an exotic tea(didn't want to compete with the orchid)it is boiled and left to steep in the teapot before pouring into an english teacup. Sorry, no touch of milk, I add a little sugar just to keep me sweet!
I've tried neither of your tea's, would love to though! All the best!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Jane! Have a great weekend!

Laura Leeder said...

L.W.Roth,
Your words are so true! I will continue to study it for another day, many thanks!

Judy said...

I agree with the others, the cup looks pearly, very beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished!

Paula said...

Just love the cup! The colours are great and it looks so delicate, real fine china! :)

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Judy and Paula! I've been fine-tuning it....oh so close!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...