Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Peony Challenge-Work In Progress, Artist Laura Leeder

"Allow one color, or just a couple of analogous colors, to dominate the mood of the painting; and let the others fulfill a supporting role."  ~Zoltan Szabo





















©Peony Blossom - Watercolour Painting In Progress
   Artist Laura Leeder

Spurred on by your words of encouragement and my own desire to complete this challenge, I've continued to develop the flower and background.  As the painting progresses, I will probably add some abstract leaf patterns, for now, I will focus on the flower.  

Up to this point I have used mostly yellows on the peony petals with only a hint of pinks and blues.  I think I am close to establishing the depth or value range of yellow that I'm looking for, so, its time to start adding in some glazes of red and blue hues to help define the petals.  *This next step is where I start getting anxious as I am really out of my comfort zone.  

Still....I've come this far, can't stop now...    

This is where a color charts come in handy.       
Here is an example of my Yellow Chart:

 I have created five of these color charts.
 -They are on my best watercolour paper!
   *this is 300lb Arches Cold Pressed
 -The size is 11'x7.5" and each square is 1"
 *This size allows for a quick visual of my colors
    and is small enough to transport. 

Each time I try a new color I add it to the appropriate
color chart.

(I also have larger color charts with  2" squares)



©Yellow Color Chart, Laura Leeder (front)




This is the back side of my color chart.
I start with pure color from the tube and drag it 
across the paper to give me an idea of the full
value range of each hue.  

By studying these charts before I start adding paint to paper, I can plan my color choices and the order that I glaze them onto the paper.  

I play/experiment with my colors often. The more that we know and understand our colors and how they react with each other, the better our chances of success with each painting.  When those mistakes occur (and they will) we will have a better chance of knowing how to turn them into happy accidents!
If you've not taken the time to play/experiment with your colors in this way, I encourage you to try it.  You won't be disappointed!

©Yellow Color Chart, Laura Leeder (back)

Creatively Yours,

Laura Leeder,
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC 

6 comments:

Judy said...

Coming along very well!

Rita Vaselli said...

Dear Laura,how lovely WIP of your yellow peony!
I love watercolor flowers colorful!!!

Laura Leeder said...

Win Dinn has left a new comment on your post "The Peony Challenge-Work In Progress, Artist Laura...":

It's amazing how that touch of colour in the centre of the peony draws the eye inwards! It's looking lovely, Laura!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Rita and Win! The beautiful center of the peony is what attracted me as well.

Eileen said...

I'm looking forward to the next part with the glazes of reds and blues.

Laura Leeder said...

In the next few days, Eileen...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...