Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Peony Challenge....

                                          
"I am often helplessly confronted by the picture... filled with suspense. What I have drawn suddenly seems to have developed its own dynamic - one that is not always necessarily kind to me. It is a genuine struggle and challenge."  
~ Simone Bingemer



©Peony~Watercolour Painting In Progress, Sept.2012

Who doesn't love peony blossoms?  They are one of my favorite spring flowers.  This one is from my tree peony that I planted 2 years ago.  It finally produced a few small blossoms in late June of this year.

It has a wonderful, rich burgundy center that is stunning against the yellow of the petals.  As it matures, it's going to make a wonderful focal point in my flower bed.  I photographed these complicated blossoms thinking that at some point this year I would try painting them.  As my first and only peony painting sold last week, I thought I would attempt this one now.  

After simplifying the number of blossoms in my sketch and transferring it to my watercolour paper, I proceeded to drop in my first washes of paint and now I am now wondering....WHAT THE HECK WAS I THINKING???   After almost a month away from my studio and painting, could I not have chosen a simpler flower to paint?  Not to mention an easier color to attempt a likeness of?    

It seems I just can't help myself....I am compelled to try....wish me luck, and have a super Sunday!

Creatively Yours, 

Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC

14 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

What were your thinking...well, you were thinking like an artist about a good challenge:-) You are off to a great start and I have full confidence that your peony will be absolutely gorgeous!

Judy said...

Not an easy subject and not an easy color, Laura! But I am sure you will succeed! Congratulations on your sale of the other peony painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Christiane!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy, it's always a thrill to send a painting off to a new home.

renate said...

You can do it Laura! You want to bet? I'll wait for the finished painting:)

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement Renate, I will give it a good try!

Win Dinn said...

It will be stunning when completed, Laura, as are all your paintings. There is no better time than now!

Pat said...

Looking good so far - and who wouldn't want to paint the beautiful paeonies? :)

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Pat, the start of a painting is always full of hope and possibilities!

Laura Leeder said...

I like your confidence in me Win! Most encouraging.

Eileen said...

Yea, you are back at it. Your beautifully precise style is perfectly suited to this subject.

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, thanks for the vote of confidence!

John Simlett said...

t will be interesting to see how this one develops, Laura

Laura Leeder said...

Hi John, I'm hoping for a positive outcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...