Monday, October 8, 2012

The Peony Challenge....Next Step

"The sun rose brilliantly above, reflecting the hues of red, orange, lavender and blue in the pond before me. The viridian shadows changed to lemon yellow and lime green as the light washed the morning and I tried in vain to save a piece of this miracle on canvas."   ~Mary Erickson

©Peony Blossom-Watercolour Painting In Progress
   Artist Laura Leeder

I managed to get a few minutes each day in the studio last week so the progress on this peony has been slow.  I've added several glazes of color to the blossoms slowly creating depth with the value changes.  I am using various mixes of pyrrol orange, rhodonite genuine, quinacridone pink, and ultramarine blue with  aureoline and new gamboge yellow.  Yesterday, I sketched in a few suggested leaves on the bottom and I've started working on the center.  As I study the progress so far, I can see some problem areas that need consideration.  I will try to resolve a few of these next.....

Wishing you a wonderful autumn Monday, mine promises to be sunny, perfect for a walk in the country.

Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist,
Creston, BC   

17 comments:

Win Dinn said...

This is coming along beautifully, in spite of the constraints of your last week. I'm thankful you're sharing your process with us!

Laura Leeder said...

And I am thankful for your support,
have a wonderful day Win!

Judy said...

To get depth in a yellow flower is so hard, but it is looking great!

Rita Vaselli said...

Lovely peony WIP! The peony comes out so beautiful...have happy painting week,dear Laura!

Pat said...

Looking good so far!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Rita, So far, I'm still liking this one!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Pat.

Arianna said...

Fabulous painting! Arianna

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Arianna, thxs for stopping by!
I admire the photos you take...

John Simlett said...

I love the Peony, we have red ones and white ones ... but this one you have created is looking even more beautiful.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi John, I too love the white and red ones. This is a young tree peony and it's stunning in the garden.

Laura Moore said...

Laura this is looking exquiste already. I admire your diligence and patience. Thanks for sharing your progress with it.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Laura, I'm working slowly on this one as I think my way through ....I appreciate your words of encouragement!

Jenny Frith said...

stunning colors!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Jenny!

Anonymous said...

Nice color choice on the blog. It is really easy on my eyes and I have bad eyes too so that's a really big compliment lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...