Thursday, November 15, 2012

My watercolour painting Pear Lace (gifts from the gods) is finished!

"A man watches his pear-tree day after day, impatient for the ripening of the fruit. Let him attempt to force the process, and he may spoil both fruit and tree. But let him patiently wait, and the ripe pear at length falls into his lap!"   ~ Abraham Lincoln

Pear Lace, November 11, 2012, Watercolour, 10x12.25"
By Laura Leeder

There is something about pears that make them irresistible to use in paintings.  If you can get them right off the tree with their leaves intact, even better!  I was able to drive out to our friends farm and do just that.  Of course, I picked several for our immediate eating pleasure and several more to share with Shannon (their treasured horse) as she wasn't prepared to let me leave until she'd had a few as well! 

Did you know there are over 3000 varieties of pears grown around the world?  They have been cultivated and enjoyed for thousands of years.  Homer referred to them as a "gift from the gods" in the Odyssey.  For this painting I chose to place these "gifts from the gods" onto one of my cherished, vintage lace table runners.      

This painting will be available for sale at the Images Art Show and Sale, November 24th and 25th, here in Creston, BC.

Thanks for stopping by, comments are always appreciated.

Creatively Yours, Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

13 comments:

Alice Saltiel-Marshall said...

What an exceptionally beautiful painting, Laura!
I agree 100% about the beauty of pears, I've painted many, and they are indeed gifts from the gods. Sadly I have never known the pleasure of having a pear subject with leaves attached! :-(

Pat said...

Outstanding work! The lace takes my breath away..

Win Dinn said...

This is truly lovely, Laura! You've done a wonderful job, and the lace, especially is amazing!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Alice! Never painted pears with leaves? I can help you with that next September!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Pat! Oh yes, that lace....I'm putting that piece at the back of my closet for a while!

Laura Leeder said...

Awww, thanks Win! That lace almost did me in...but, it was so worth it!

Rita Vaselli said...

Dear Laura,you are Master of Watercolor Light !!!GREAT GREAT WORK!!!Congratulations!!!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Rita, your comments are always give me a lift!!!

Laura Moore said...

Oh my goodness Laura. This is just so exquisite. I wish I had your patience and steadiness... actually your talent too. :-)

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for the lovely comment Laura!
Pear Lace was a real labor of love....

Jane said...

An amazing painting ! The lace is just incredible , how do you do it ?? xx

Judy said...

Wow, great painting, Laura! I love the shadows of the pears on the lace. Exquisite is the word!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Jane and Judy! That lace took a lot of my time and waxed my patience, it was worth it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...