Monday, January 7, 2013

A Fresh Start In The Studio For 2013!

"Time spent not applying material to a work of art is as important as applying it... kind of like music, where the pleasant order of a composition is only due to the calculated silence between the audible rhythms."  ~Nikki Coulombe


©Jan 2013, Main Paint Tray, Laura Leeder

At the start of each new year, I give my studio a good cleaning.  Before starting any new paintings, I also empty out and clean my painting trays, along with my brushes and all other items on my desk.  I then get ready to add new paints to each tray. I have my main working tray for my everyday colors and a small porcelain tray that holds my specialty paints.  

  















©Jan 2013, Paints And Color Charts, Laura Leeder

With color charts in front of me and clean trays ready for filling, I start by adding my old favorites to each tray along with any new colors that I want to try.  As I record the inventory of my paint tubes, I make a note by each color if it's warm or cool.  I note if it's a new color, a color to delete, along with any other comments that are helpful to me in better understanding my color choices.  This is where I also make notes about any new paint colors I'd like to try and will consider purchasing on my next order. 
















©Jan 2013, Studio Desk, Laura Leeder

After I've decided which colors will stay in my trays and which colors will be replaced with new ones to try, I then re-label my trays and fill the compartments.  Now I'm filled with excitement and anticipation and ready to start painting!!  

Thanks for stopping by, have a great week!
Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

13 comments:

Rita Vaselli said...

Dear Laura,congratulations on your beautiful organization of the workflow with the colors!

Christiane Kingsley said...

Laura, you are a real inspiration! You are so well organized. I would be embarrassed to show you how my paint tray looks most of the time.

Laura Leeder said...

Rita and Christiane, thanks for leaving a comment. Oh, my tray gets quite messy at times as well!

Vicki Greene said...

It is going to be in the 70s this weekend and you have inspired me to clean my studio!

Pat said...

Wow! How organised you are.
A clean sweep to me is the palette in the dishwasher and some fresh water! :lol:

Judy said...

That is a good beginning of the new year, Laura! Happy painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Vicki, you will be so glad that you did!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy, I like to think so!

Laura Leeder said...

That works too Pat!

Laura Moore said...

Just what I've been up to as well Laura. I get so much pleasure sorting out and playing with these lovely tubes of juicy colours. Finding out what they can do and feeling like a child in a sweetie shop when choosing new ones. I have no doubt you enjoy the wonders of these little gems just as much.

Laura Leeder said...

Yes exactly Laura! I never tire of playing with my colors...so much to learn.

Eileen said...

I found it interesting to see how you set out your palette. Are the paint tubes in the wells for using fresh paint?


Laura Leeder said...

In this case I have added 2 new colors to try. So, I place the tubes in the wells as I consider the layout. When I am satisfied of the new placement of colors, I then squeeze color from the tubes into the wells. I don't add a lot so that I can refresh the color often.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...