Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Butterflies In January?

"If I have accomplished anything good, then it's mainly because I've been driven by the need to know whether I can accomplish things I'm not sure I have the capacity for."   ~Vaclav Havel

















©January 2013, Laura Leeder, Painting In Progress-step 1

I've been working in my studio this past week on a sketch of my first painting of the new year and this one has me filled with such nervous anticipation that I'm experiencing butterflies!  

Why? Well, at approximately 16"x22", it is the largest one that I have worked on to date. Plus, it is just one of three that I need to complete for an upcoming show this April in Cranbrook. (more on this show later)  Not only am I working against a deadline, but, I have definitely stepped outside of my comfort zone.

Working in this larger format has opened up a whole set of new challenges for me.  Starting with the background!  I had to dig out my larger wash brushes and work a lot quicker than I'm used to as I laid in my colors. I was not as successful as I'd hoped, and I will have to go back in with a second glaze and try to tone it down.  Before I do, I think I'll work on different areas of the foreground, while I muster up my confidence to tackle that background again!  So it's back to the studio for me and more butterflies!

What new challenge are you working on that takes you out of your comfort zone?

Thanks for stopping by, comments are always welcome.

Creatively Yours,

Laura Leeder
Watercolor Artist, Creston, BC            

15 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

I know that you will meet these new challenges and walk away with a beautiful painting! I will look forward to seeing you progress on this one.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence Vicki!

Laura Moore said...

Gosh that is huge Laura. Good Luck with it. Though it is looking wonderful already. As to challenges I've set myself? Too many to mention... lol and all to do with watercolour what else. Take care.

Win Dinn said...

Good for you, Laura - a strong start makes for a strong finish.

As for challenges, setting a goal of 60 paintings this year certainly is a biggie for me!

Laura Leeder said...

Laura, your comments remind me of a quote: "Reach for the moon, for if you miss, at least you'll fall among the stars!"

Laura Leeder said...

Win, 60 paintings is an enormous number to me! However, I have no doubt that you will do it and they will all be gems!

Eileen said...

I like seeing the start of this large painting.
What is giving me butterflies this year? A large textile self portrait for an upcoming show.

Laura Leeder said...

And it is coming along beautifully Eileen!! Mine....a bit too early to tell.

Pat said...

I think its looking good so far. My first tutor always said to wash in a bg, leave it be then until you have painted everything else - only then go back if it needs tickling up.
Pretty much like you're doing. I'm anticipating a masterpiece. :)

Laura Leeder said...

That good advice Pat and I will do just that!

Christiane Kingsley said...

On my monitor, Laura, your background looks absolutely wonderful! You may find out in the end that you prefer working in a larger size: I do, except for the background if it has a large uninterrupted area. Once you are happy with the background, the rest of the painting will paint itself!

Laura Leeder said...

Sharon Whitley said...what a great idea to put your favourites together like that to show -wish I'd thought of that - they're all beautiful, very belated happy new year to you!
Sorry Sharon, I accidently hit delete!

Arianna said...

Why not? Good sunday, Arianna

Laura Leeder said...

Why not indeed Arianna, thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your day.

Laura Leeder said...

Christiane that is a very good point about the background, size and space. Something to consider when I'm setting up future compositions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...