Thursday, January 24, 2013

Painting In Progress- A Still Life Featuring Kootenay Pottery

"Have a strategy for tackling design, value patterns and color harmony, a plan that leads to a painting which is modern, but has its roots in the art of the past."  ~Sidney Hermel
















©January 24, 2013, Laura Leeder, Painting In Progress, Step 2
   Size apx. 16" x 22"

Having had a few day's rest and change of scenery, plus the acquisition of some new treasures,  I came home eager to get back to work on this painting.  I've made lot of progress since my last post, though I've still a ways to go. 

I assessed the background and realized that it was just too choppy and distracting for me to leave it as is while I worked on the foreground.  So I went in with 2 of the 3 colors used in the first wash and deepened and softened the background keeping the right side slightly lighter.  If it needs further adjusting I will do that when the painting is completed.

I then proceeded to the next largest white space - the lace.  I gave it a light wash of colors that would appear in the flower, porcelain bird and pottery vase.  Then the bird, flower and table received light value glazes as well.  I then focused my attention  on the pottery vase.  Normally I would start with light value glazes here as well, but, in this case, I decided to add my deepest color first as I would then be able to judge all the other values needed on the vase against it.  This blue color is a primatek mineral paint with rich, deep saturation and a granular effect that works beautifully on this vase, giving it that earthiness and textural appearance you would see on the original.  


















©January 24, 2013, Laura Leeder, close up, step 2

I wasn't liking the shape of the leaf petals against the vase so I lifted out what I could and re-drew their shapes and repainted each.  I then moved across the foreground a second and third time, adding deeper values of color to the table, lace, flower, bird and vase.

I'm now ready to deepen the shadows on the lace cloth so that I can move onto painting the table.  I will then be able to judge the color values needed to continue painting the rest of the foreground objects.

As always, your comments are appreciated,

Artfully Yours,
Laura Leeder,
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

14 comments:

Eileen said...

Wow, the mineral colour on the vase is amazingly like a ceramic glaze.

Laura Leeder said...

Yes, it's a great choice for this vase which still has a ways to go!

Win Dinn said...

I can see this painting will be a beauty; that vase is one of my favourite shapes, too!

Laura Leeder said...

This vase is one of my favorites Win!
I hope I can do it justice.

Mellowood Gallery said...

So much involved in this piece - I can't wait to see it finished

Laura Leeder said...

I wish I could say it's almost finished Val, unfortunately there is still quite a few glazes of paint to be added.

Vicki Greene said...

I am enjoying watching this progress. That vase is really looking good!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Vicki, this vase is a favorite of mine and I've wanted to include it in a painting for a while now.

John Simlett said...

It's 2013 btw, you have everything as Jan 2012!

I watch fascinated as the 'pot' emerges from the paper :0)

In answer to your question: the four poster bed is real and not paper.

Stay warm, Laura

Sharon Whitley said...

I love watching a painting come together - looking wonderful!

Christiane Kingsley said...

What stunning little treasures you are including in this painting, Laura! I too love that color that you are using on the vase. This is going to be one of your most beautiful paintings!

Laura Leeder said...

John, 2013 it it! Thank You for pointing that error out to me....I have been catching myself do this with my weekly task list as well.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Sharon, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Laura Leeder said...

Christiane, thank you for your words of encouragement! I adore my little bird, I have collected a few more in the last year and look forward to using them in more paintings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...