Thursday, February 28, 2013

New painting in-progress and Winner Of The Draw Announced!

"An artist finds his happiest combination in a play of complementary colors. They are direct contrasts yet do not jar; they awaken the beholder, but do not disturb him."        
  ~Charles Burchfield




















©Red Roses, Crystal and Tomatoes, Watercolour Painting In-Progress
   Laura Leeder, February 2013

My goal for this week was to complete the still life painting with raku pottery posted earlier this month and start a new sketch.  Well, I started the new sketch and then I just couldn't stop!  I began by exploring several color options for the background.  Using the backs of practise paintings (okay, failed attempts) I played with several colors and ideas. In the end, I chose to do a complimentary background using 3 shades of greens.  These colors were not blended on the palette but allowed to mingle directly onto the watercolour paper. On impulse, I then sprayed water onto the paper and sprinkled an ample amount of salt across the wet paper as well.  I then crossed my fingers and waiting anxiously for the background to dry.  (A rather risky chance to take when you are working against a deadline!!)  

As I charged in the various greens I tried to think about their placement in relation to the tomatoes and roses.  I sometimes feel that the background is accomplished more through luck than planning or execution!!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to start dropping in paint with my eyes closed yet!!   My one concern is the leaves in the vase.  The actual leaves are red veined and I plan to paint these leaves a deeper red overall.  I am hopeful that this will give the separation needed from my multi textured green background!  

AND NOW....ON TO THE WINNER OF THE GICLEE PRINT!! 

Congratulations goes to Morgen Bordati!

ENTER to WIN this print!
©Dance Of Joy, Giclee Print by Laura Leeder



I've contacted Morgen and she is thrilled to be receiving "Dance Of Joy".  Morgen has informed me that this print is going to make a wonderful gift for her mother.  How great is that?!



A very special thanks to all of you who commented on the blog and/or took the time to "LIKE" my artist page on facebook.  You will have another opportunity to receive a gift from me later this spring as I will be offering another "give-away"!!!   So stay tuned and check back often!

THANK YOU EVERYONE, HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!



Creatively Yours, 
Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

9 comments:

Eileen said...

That glass vase looks perfect already. What size is this painting?

Rita Vaselli said...

Lovely idea your great giveaway,dear Laura! Congrats to Morgen! I love your ART!!!See you soon on Facebook,Rita.

Vicki Greene said...

I can tell that this one is going to be a beauty already! Congrats Morgan!

Laura Moore said...

Really interesting read Laura to hear how you tackled the background and the thought process. Looking really good so far.

Laura Leeder said...

The painting size is 17.5" x 20". Oops, I had meant to add that into my blog post! Thanks Eileen, Rita, Vicki and Laura! I hope to get over to your blogs tomorrow to see what you have been creating! Take care.

Win Dinn said...

This is looking terrific, Laura, and I look forward to seeing the finished product. I suspect the leaf veins will make a great deal of difference!

catharina engberg said...

Gorgeous soft colours you have painted on the table cloth. I do like!

Celia Blanco said...

Your work is beautiful! Found you through Pinterest-what a treat!

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Celia, so glad you found me,thanks for leaving me such a wonderful comment! You just made my day!
Hugs Laura

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...