Sunday, May 26, 2013

Vintage Ducks And Kootenay Grown Daffodils Come To Life In Watercolour!

"The initial application of paint provokes spontaneous responses that result in subsequent decisions... unlimited possibilities in technique and design."  ~ Carlton Plummer



©Laura Leeder, Daffodils in Watercolour, Step 1, May 2013

I have been enjoying the arrival of spring blossoms for a few weeks now and as the daffodils are slowly losing their blossoms I finally gave in and cut several to bring indoors.  I came across these turquoise duck figurines last summer in our local vintage shop and have been waiting for the right vase to use them with. I found this blue glass vase in an antique shop earlier this year and decided it was perfect.

I thought about using lighter, pastel colors for the background that would represent spring more; however, after planning out my colors, my hand and brush changed it's course and dipped into the phthalo blue!  And just as quickly I dropped it on the paper.  So a darker background it is! (I still may want to do this one again with the lighter background.)

Have a creative week!  I am taking a few days off and enjoying a trip to Couer d'Alene along with my sister and mother from Alberta.  I am really looking forward to their visit!!

Creatively Yours,
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC      

10 comments:

Win Dinn said...

Already I can tell this will be a beauty, Laura, and I look forward to seeing it completed. Have a wonderful time in Coeur d'Alene!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I am ready for a break and eager to spend time with my mom and sister.

Eileen said...

What a great choice the phthalo blue looks like it will be. Thanks for sharing the story of the painting.

Judy said...

This background will make the colors of the daffodils sing! Enjoy your trip!

Celia Blanco said...

Hi Laura, a happy mistake with the blue. The painting looks beautiful so far! Thank you for sharing your process.
I wish you a great trip!
Celia

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, the more I look at that phthalo blue background the more I like it!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Judy!

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Celia, thanks for commenting. I will enjoy the trip!

John Simlett said...

Nice to see the WIP and await the finished product with interest. Hope the trip was enjoyable.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi John, the trip was very enjoyable and I'm ready to get back into the studio!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...