Saturday, July 27, 2013

Flowers, Paint and Rocks! Beach Rocks That Is....

"Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time."  ~John Lubbock






















©Vase of Pink Lillie's, Laura Leeder, July 2013

Last week Ivor and I enjoyed a few days of camping at Kootenay Lake.  We spent our mornings on the water boating and fishing followed by long, lazy afternoons  exploring different beaches along the shoreline.

If you are a still life or floral painter you will understand that even while camping, one must have flowers. Indoors or out, I always have a vase or glass with a flower or two in it nearby. Their positive energy and beauty fill me with contentment and joy.  These lilies also attracted hummingbirds and butterflies, an added bonus!



















Like Kenya, we found ourselves picking and sifting through the pieces of driftwood and beach rocks looking for keepers.


















This piece of driftwood made for some interesting photos...like this one.


















©Laura Leeder, July 2013


I was inspired by the variety of colors, shapes and textures in the rocks; especially when wet, as the bits of mica really sparkled. 


  














©Painting preparations, Laura Leeder, July 2013

Back at the campsite I decided to have some fun and try my hand at painting rocks.  

 ©Watercolour painting in progress, Laura Leeder, July 2013

My goal here is to simply play and explore the many texture and color possibilities.  I am using several of the Daniel Smith Primatek watercolour paints.  Most of them are sedimentary and contain small flecks of mica in the pigment.

 

















©Near complete painting exercise of beach rocks by Laura Leeder, July 2013

As a studio painter, I found the whole process of painting outdoors in the dappled light amidst the bugs and ants somewhat challenging; but, I persevered. 
I used several techniques in my attempt to create variety and interest.  After they are just rocks right?! I used sedimentary colors, painted wet on wet, painted wet on dry, I drew lines and circles with a wet paint brush, spritzing water and splattering salt. 
Here is the unfinished “beach rocks” exercise from my creative play time. And yes, I will definitely try this exercise again!

Creatively Yours,
Creston, BC in the heart of the Kootenays

8 comments:

Mellowood Gallery said...

I like your painting of the rocks - some great colors. It is great that artists can find beauty in the mundane.

Win Dinn said...

You're having a lot of fun up the lake, Laura, and I love the results on your pebbles painting!

Eileen said...

Liking those rocks!

Laura Leeder said...

Yes,so true Val! For me, color and texture make all the difference.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I'm encouraged to complete it and see where it takes me!

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, I have surprised myself, I enjoyed this creative play!

Celia Blanco said...

Laura, you do everything with such style and grace! I love your flowers while camping!! An inspiring idea and beautiful backdrop. Love the rock painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Celia, the rock painting was a great exercise!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...