Sunday, September 15, 2013

Back In The Studio After An Enjoyable Summer Break

"Autumn mornings: sunshine and crisp air, birds and calmness, year's end and day's beginnings."   ~Terri Guillemets






















©Yellow Mums, Painting In Progress,September 13, 2013
   Laura Leeder~Watercolour Artist

As we approach the middle of September, I am noticing fall is already in the air.  The leaves are just starting to change colors and drop to the ground.  My planters filled with lush, heady, petunias are fast fading having survived the intense summer heat that we've enjoyed here in the valley. I have been replacing them in all my planters with a variety of yellow, pink and red chrysanthemums and a hearty trailing ivy. 





















©My Planter with Yellow Chrysanthemums and Ivy, September 2013
   Laura Leeder

I can't think of a better way to embrace the changing of the seasons and welcome in fall, than to celebrate it with a painting that includes some of my favorite fall flowers!
 
It feels good to be back in the studio with a paint brush in hand and a riot of color on my pallet. The above planter was my inspiration to start a "warm up" painting with a bouquet of  yellow mums.  I have chosen Daniel Smith Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Quinacridone Violet and Permanent Green Lt for my background colors.  While these colors were still wet I spritzed them with a spray bottle of 90% pure alcohol, a technique my artist friend Win Dinn uses a lot in her mixed media paintings.

I will come back in later and adjust the colors in the background, right now though, I can't wait to drop some color onto those chrysanthemums!

For more great tips on painting in watercolour, check out my artist friend Eileen Gidmans blog.  In this post she shares some great examples of painting leaves!
.  
Here's to the changing of the season's, have a great week!

Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC in the heart of the Kootenays

10 comments:

Win Dinn said...

What a wonderful celebratory painting to be doing, Laura - I look forward to seeing the results!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I'd better get in some of that fall yellow that I've been talking!

Celia Blanco said...

A beautiful way to celebrate fall, I love the background colors and imagine it will complement the yellows well. Your planter looks like something out of Martha Stewart's magazine.
I will see Gidman's blog, thank you for passing it on!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Celia, Martha Stewart I'm not, but I do love putting plants together!

Eileen said...

I like the way you post the partly done watercolour. It has me anticipating what is next and there is a little fear in me too because if I was posting I would be worried I might flub it and then what would I show. Good on you, Laura. I admire your confidence!

Wendy Barrett said...

A great start Laura, I'm sure it will look stunning as you have a beautiful composition and your preliminary work looks lovely. Nice to see you back in your studio. I still have a few rogue flowers on my chrysanthemums - they haven't totally stopped flowering since they began in Autumn - it's now spring here. Very strange!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Eileen, and it is always a risk posting one that I am currently working on, but then I am reminded of the saying: "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Having said that, I hope this venture is successful!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Wendy, it's the yellows that are always a challenge for me. Fingers crossed....

Jane said...

Oh yes, autumn is definitely in the air ! Looking forward to seeing the finished work here :-)

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Jane!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...