Wednesday, September 4, 2013

One Last Look At August And Our Kootenay Lake Retreat

"The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many."  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Although I enjoy every season and always look forward to each, I can't help but feel sad that August has ended and with it summer is fading away and making way for Autumn.  So I am taking one last look at August and our Kootenay Lake Retreat.

















These hydrangeas are from my garden and I just had to bring a few back to the lake with me to enjoy.


















We thoroughly enjoyed our little slice of the wooded park on Kootenay lake that we named Forest Haven.

















An added bonus of having these hanging baskets around our campsite was the hummingbirds they attracted.

















Look up....way up....quite a perspective isn't it?!

















We've enjoyed many walks through the forest.  What an amazing spot this is!

















These daisies are just one of the many wild varieties of flowers that grow in this area.























Kenya enjoyed our morning walks through the forest and then down onto the beach.  Everyday was a new discovery for her.

     















Sigh....even now, I miss the sound of the waves rolling into shore.  I can't wait to get back here!

 















I marveled at the site of this"water art" a mass of old tree stumps and roots.






                 










And this, if you study it long enough, you can see all kinds of characters taking shape.




And last but not least, one of my favorite activities, sitting at the waters edge and dipping our feet into the lake, while watching the boats go by and the eagles soar high in the sky.

And with that I welcome September, the changes of the seasons and all that Autumn has to offer.

I am back in the studio working on some new sketches for my teacup series, a floral still life and another small apple painting.  Thanks for stopping by, your comments are always welcome!

Creatively Yours,
Laura Leeder ~ Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC (the heart of the Kootenays)                                                              

8 comments:

Judy said...

You had a great summer, looking at those wonderful photos1

Wendy Barrett said...

Hi Laura, I can see why you are sad to leave such a beautiful place. How amazing to have hummingbirds visit! I hope to see one in the flesh at some point in my life. Good luck with your teacup paintings!

Win Dinn said...

That's a lovely, relaxing post, Laura - your new spot truly looks wonderful, and I can see you enjoying many seasons there!

Laura Leeder said...

Judy, the location was great as was the change of pace and break from routine.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I am counting on it!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Wendy, I am working on a chintz teacup sketch. Yes, the hummingbirds are just amazing birds!

Eileen said...

Rejuvenating to spend some time beside the water. Kenya looks like she is enjoying it.

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, my favorite holidays have always included time near the water.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...