Thursday, September 19, 2013

Yellow Mums-Painting In Progress or Study In Progress....That Is The Question!


"The best strategy relies upon an unlimited set of responses." ~ Morihei Ueshiba






















©Yellow Mums, Study In Progress,September 19, 2013
   Laura Leeder~Watercolour Artist

I've changed the caption under the photo from painting in progress to study in progress.  This piece is only 9 x 8.75 inches and was initially meant to be a warm up to figure out my colours and decide if I wanted to paint these chrysanthemums in a much larger format.  (which is what I should have done to start with) Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained!   

I couldn't wait to drop some colour into these fall mums.  I've started with a very light wash of aureolin yellow, followed by new gamboge.  I then mixed a light value of rose madder genuine and new gamboge and have added it selectively in some of the shadow areas.  I have also mixed a light value of ultramarine blue and burnt sienna that I am using to help separate the petals. 

I have just started to add some of the background colours into the glass bowl. I had to remove all my miskit spots as I was finding them too distracting.  At this point, I could no longer ignore the pityfull cries from my yard as my flowers were choking under the weeds and begging to be saved.  So that is where I have spent most of my time over the last few days.  A good thing too, as I was almost finished and the rains came.  

While rescuing my flowers I came across this surprising trumpet lily in bloom!  Yes, in my garden, blooming in September!















©Trumpet Lily, blooming in the garden, Sept 17, 2013
   Photo by Laura Leeder

















One last photo of the only other flowers left in bloom in my backyard flower beds after all my deadheading.

There is a lot more work to do around the yard and indoors, so it's back to work for me, sadly though, not in the studio... just yet!   

Thank You for stopping by, have a great week!

Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC ~ In The Heart Of The Kootenays

4 comments:

Eileen said...

Great yellows, Laura.

Win Dinn said...

Loving that sunny colour, Laura!

Judy said...

Yellow flowers are difficult to paint, but this looks really good, Laura!

Celia Blanco said...

Autumn brings these beautiful yellows, your study is stunning so far! Beautiful garden photos, it must smell delicious there!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...