Thursday, October 3, 2013

Yellow Mums Painting Headed In A New Direction

"The things that interest me most about painting are whatever is difficult or unexplored, rather than what I can already do. Following that path results in failures once in a while, but it's much more rewarding when I make a breakthrough."  ~Quang Ho






















©Yellow mums, watercolour & ink work in progress, Oct 2013
    Artist Laura Leeder

I've stepped out of my comfort zone and headed in a new direction with this painting.  It partly resulted from my shift in thinking that this piece was a study and not a painting, thereby giving myself permission to play.  This shift in thinking really came from seeing so many of you trying new techniques in your own art.  (so thank you!)  

The leap started with this strong urge to outline the centers of chrysanthemums in ink.  I liked the result and decided to try the same thing on the petals!  I couldn't stop there as the bowl now looked incomplete.  Taking a deep breath, I slowly outlined it's edge.  Not perfect, but, not bad. I didn't stop there though, I opened my new small pots of opaque twinkling paints that just arrived in the mail and started dropping in more color onto the flower petals. With paint names like Sunflower, Yellow Rose, Autumn Butternut and Fern, how could I resist?  After all it is only a study....right?!

The twinkling paints change with the light and add another layer of depth and texture that unfortunately doesn't show up well in this photo.

Overall, I like the results, although, I still have quite a ways to go before deciding if I should just set it aside as a study or declare it a finished piece. (I am still hopeful)
I came across these twinkling pots of paint as a result of reading Dreama Tolle Perry's post on her Venice trip.  Here is the link: http://dreamatolleperry.com/v-is-for-venice/

Your comments and suggestions are always appreciated, have a great day!

Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC in the Heart of the Kootenays  

P.S.  I recently met a talented artisan on Etsy who creates charming and whimsical greeting cards and stationary. Sian Whitehall of Australia, owner of Janes Apple.  Jane promotes other artists and artisans on her colorful and cheery blog and this week she has included my print "Golden Beauty" in her weekly treasury feature.  Please head over to Janes blog and check it out:  Cheerful by JanesApple  Thank You!

17 comments:

Diane ~ said...

Oh my this is gorgeous! what beautiful color! :)

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Diane! That's very encouraging.

Sian said...

This painting is wonderful Laura. I also love the quote. It's amazing what we can do when we look beyond what we already do/know. I do wish I had your talent for painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Sian and judging from your shop and blog, you have loads of talent!

Laura Moore said...

I wish I could play like that Laura. :-) Such a beautiful effect overall. The yellow mums bling even seeing them from here. Great colour choices too. Hopefully you will regard the painting as more than just play time. It is worthy of far more than that.

Laura Leeder said...

Bling....I like that Laura! I agree, it's very hard for most of us to take risks and play,it wasn't planned, it just happened and I'm glad it did! Thank You!

Judy said...

You are so right, calling it a study and giving yourself permission to play, paid off wonderfully! The mums jump off the screen, beautiful, Laura!

Celia Blanco said...

Beautiful colors, Laura and I love this new approach! To me it looks more than perfect.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy, the experience was well worth it!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Celia! I will study it for a few days before fine tuning it.

Win Dinn said...

That's a fabulous to play, Laura - those mums are leaping off the page now! Well done.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I can feel your influence in this one!

Wendy Barrett said...

This is stunning Laura! You've got amazing detail in the flowers.

Laura Leeder said...

Thank you Wendy, just a few more details are needed before I declare it finished!

Eva de dueñas said...

Amazing yellow flowers!! I love your paintings

Laura Leeder said...

Many Thanks Eva! Have a great day.

Eileen said...

Opaque twinkling paints. I look forward to see them on the painting. Always fun to try something new.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...