Saturday, November 16, 2013

Golden Mums Watercolour Painting ~ My Tribute To Autumn

"The days may not be so bright and balmy—yet the quiet and melancholy that linger around them is fraught with glory. Over everything connected with autumn there lingers some golden spell—some unseen influence that penetrates the soul with its mysterious power." ~Northern Advocate























©Golden Mums ~ Watercolour & Ink, November 2013
    By Laura Leeder

These golden yellow chrysanthemums have provided me with color both indoors and out these last few months.  I started this painting in October and then set it aside while I worked on other paintings.  This week I sat down with it again and brought it to a satisfactory finishing point.  

As November is considered the birth month for chrysanthemums, I'd say my timing is perfect!  These golden mums are my favorite fall flower as they bloom long after most flowers have faded.  The quiet happiness they provide me gives way to melancholy as I know that their fading blossoms outdoors, means that winter is fast approaching. 

Golden Mums~Watercolour & Ink
200lb Saunders Waterford CP Paper
Size: 9.25 x 8.75 inches

*Prints and notecards coming soon!

Creatively Yours,
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC  *In the heart of the Kootenays!

11 comments:

Eileen said...

Nice to see this piece completed. The yellow Mums are vibrant.

Win Dinn said...

That's a beauty, Laura - I particularly love that delightful salt technique in the background.

Celia Blanco said...

This painting has the power to cheer you up through the cold winter months! I love how the background colors set off the yellow mums beautifully.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Celia! Winter is near, we experienced wet snow this morning. We are still warm enough that it melted away.

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Win and Eileen. I enjoyed using techniques in this painting that were influenced by both of you!


Pat said...

What a beautiful piece of artwork. I love the flowers, the bowl, the lace, the background. Everything really. There's so much to enchant your eye. Beautiful, beautiful xx

Judy said...

The cheerful yellow of these mums is beautiful, Laura!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Pat! I love your comment "so much to enchant your eye". I may have to borrow that!

Laura Leeder said...

Judy thank you! It was most fun loosening up a bit with these cheerful blossoms!

Catharina Engberg said...

It´s allways stunning how you do the table cloth! You are soo good with it!!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Catharina, sometimes I think it's actually easier than other parts of the painting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...