Saturday, December 21, 2013

"I love to paint completely for myself. I call it my experimental work when I just need to play with my materials and not worry about the market. This is where the child-like artist takes over and allows the artist to just have fun. There is a no risk factor." ~Adrienne Moore

















© "The Gift" ~ Watercolour, Dec 18, 2013
    Laura Leeder

This small painting was done as a quick study for a larger floral painting with this green bow. The subtle texture in the background was created by spritzing alcohol onto the wet paints and allowing to dry.  

*Tip: I sprayed the alcohol onto the background quite liberally covering the whole surface.  What I  noticed afterwards is that the alcohol seems to leave a slight film on the surface that made it very difficult for me to go back in and deepen any areas.  What I learnt? A little restraint is a good thing!!
 
To create the texture on the bird, I pre-wet the area and charged in my color's, (keeping in mind where my lightest light's and darkest dark's would be).  While the bird was wet, I pressed saran wrap onto this area, smooshing and twisting the wrap.  I then applied a heavy book on top of the painting and left it to dry overnight.  The result was this lovely aged texture! 

*Tip: If like me, you build up your painting with additional glazes of color, then you need to go EXTRA dark with your colors in this first step.    

Enjoy your weekend and don't forget to play!

Thank's for stopping by, 
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

12 comments:

Eileen said...

Oh that lace is so very realistic. Nice to see a green bow. Lots of red ones this time of year.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Eileen, and about the bow, I agree, that's why I chose a green instead!

Catharina Engberg said...

Love that smooth surface of the bird. Great lace. Lovely painting.

Win Dinn said...

Way to use your mixed media techniques, Laura! Lovely study.

Celia Blanco said...

The texture on the bird looks like marble, very beautiful and delicate. I love how you work the background and your lace. Love this painting!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Catharina! I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of this bird, as I've photographed it several different set-ups.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I am so glad you shared these with me!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Celia!

Laura Moore said...

Just had a catch up on what you have been up to. The Chintz Teacup is coming along beautifully. Thanks for the tips on how you created The Gift. Another beauty. Merry Christmas.

Laura Leeder said...

And a very Merry Christmas to you Laura! I look forward to sharing our creative experiences in 2014!

Judy said...

Beautiful textures and thank you for the tips how your created them, Laura! I love the painting, the bow is beautiful! Merry Christmas to you!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You so much Judy! The same to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...