Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Sneak Peak At My Next Painting!

"The simplicity of form, the drama of rich, intense colour, the joy of challenge, and the challenge of endurance... The piece, when it is over, is not what is made, but how it is made."  ~Andrew Kuntz


©Still-life sketch with blue bow, January 29, 2014
   By Laura Leeder

Every painting starts with an idea that is visualized first in my minds eye.  I then photograph the collection of items, in a variety of still-life arrangements choosing the one set-up that speaks to me best.  Almost always the flowers included are from my own garden, this one; a blue hydrangea that presented me with it's first blossom this summer after being dug up and moved 2 years ago.  

What a gift!  Hence an idea for a painting was formed.  While photographing I am thinking about the mood I want to convey and choosing items that best help me achieve that feel.  Strong cast shadows, texture and transparency are important elements in all my paintings, as are the references to nature and the nod to slower, more peaceful times. 
 
The clusters of petals on this hydrangea are pretty to look at, but, a nightmare to draw.  So I am simplifying the number of petals while referring to my photographs to ensure that I don't lose the over-all shape of the blossom or it's feeling of abundance.  This is the hardest part of the process for me.  Patiently, fine-tuning the sketch, adding the important details, making corrections and checking for balance instead of grabbing my brushes and charging into my watercolour paints!    

Thanks for stopping by,
Creatively Yours, 
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC 

14 comments:

Eileen said...

I am not sure how you don't get lost in the detail of the lace. A detailed drawing really can set the stage for success. Looking like a great beginning.

Laura Leeder said...

Oh, sometimes I do Eileen! I will continue to refer to this drawing as I work on the painting itself.

Jane said...

A very careful preparation looking forward to seeing the progress , f I can get through ! This time it worked , I wonder why ?

Win Dinn said...

This is going to be a beauty, Laura - that blue hydrangea was a stunner, and so worthy of your lovely watercolour treatments!

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Jane, I'm not sure what happened but I am so glad you tried again!

Laura Leeder said...

It was a beauty Win! Soft blue-violets with a hint of green.

Wendy Barrett said...

Just catching up on your blog Laura! You have done so many stunning pieces! They are all so delicate and pretty and evoke the calmness that comes with a good cup of tea.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for stopping by Wendy! Your description sums up the feelings that I try convey in most of my work.

Laura Moore said...

Wow your drawing is fabulous. Have no idea why I am so surprised at how detailed and precise it is especially as your paintings always have these wonderful characteristics. Great to see your work in progress. Thanks for sharing.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks for stopping by Laura! It's interesting what we continue to pick up from each other.

Catharina Engberg said...

I could never do this amount of planning and before sketch.That´s why I never finish my Alcudia street seen, as it has alot of perspectives in it. But I must one day. I admire your effort!!!

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura - this looks like it is going to be so beautiful. Read your previous blog and seen how much work goes into a piece of this nature. Now wonder your work is so gorgeous. So glad too that your Mom is doing better. Take care and have a lovely day in the studio.

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Debbie,
Thank You so much for your wonderful comments.you made my day!

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Debbie,
Thank You so much for your wonderful comments.you made my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...