Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Sneak Peak at my Painting In-Progres for the 2014 Pink Garden Tea Fundraiser

"Subject matter does not determine a successful painting. It is the manner in which one personally envisions and interprets the subject that is the magical equation."   ~ Robert Reynolds

*For the 2014 Pink Garden Tea ~Cancer Fundraiser
















©Chintz Teapot with Roses, Watercolour In-Progress, March 29, 2014
   By Laura Leeder

Here's a sneak peak at my painting in-progress for this years Pink Garden Tea and Fundraiser.


















Step 1 ~ Sketch by Laura Leeder, adding final details

I've transferred my sketch to my watercolour paper and taped the paper onto my mdf board.  I can now easily turn my board while painting.  I have enlarged the photo details of the roses so that I can more easily sketch in the details of the center petals on my watercolour paper.  (whenever possible I try to simplify the design- in this case the rose petals)

After trying several colours on scrap watercolour paper I am ready to paint in the background. I am going to try and keep it on the softer side so that this beautiful chintz teapot (loaned to my by Glory Jacklin), can really shine!  I've left the chintz pattern off the teapot for now as I find it bossy and distracting.

What is chintz?  Chintz refers to the dense, all-over floral pattern found on china and fabrics. Although pretty, it's a very complicated pattern to mimic in a painting!
















Step 2 ~ First Layers of Colour on Background and Roses

For the background I've used watery washes of antwerp blue, ultramarine blue and permanent green.  I then moved onto the roses. I pre-wet my roses with water and charged in light washes of aureolin yellow, new gamboge, rose madder genuine and permanent  rose. I tried to be mindful of where the light will hit and where the petals would be cooler and/or warmer. After this dries, I will continue to develop the roses through light, transparent washes.

 

  












Step 3 ~ Adding the Chintz Pattern and Developing the Roses
Watercolour In-Progress by Laura Leeder, March 29, 2014

I've sketched in most of the floral pattern onto the teapot.  I've added miskit onto areas of flowers that will be white or very light.  (I don't want to lose them completely in the shadow areas)

I've added pyrrol orange to my palette and using all of the colours mentioned in step 1 and 2, I will continue to develop the painting.  Now comes the hard part!  Bring the painting to a satisfactory conclusion......


A print of this painting will be donated for silent auction to the annual Pink Garden Tea, a local fundraiser that supports women and their families affected by cancer.  More information on this year's event will be posted here soon!

Scenes from last year's Pink Garden Tea ~2013
Click Here

My November 2013 post on my "chintz teacup study" in preparation for this painting
Click Here

Thank You for following along with me, have a wonderful weekend!

All The Best,
Laura Leeder
Watercolour Artist, Creston, BC

16 comments:

Win Dinn said...

This is so exciting to see your sneak peak, Laura...can HARDLY wait for more!

Valdja Maria said...

Tenho certeza que vai ficar linda,como sempre!!Abra├žos!

Laura Leeder said...

Valdja Maria thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

Sheila said...

This is looking lovely Laura! Those background washes are wonderful!

Eileen said...

Laura, this shows us what thoughtful preparation you go to when preparing for this worthy fund raiser.

Judy said...

What an adorable teapot, Laura, I love chintz patterns! Difficult to paint though, looking forward to the finished painting.

Laura Leeder said...

It will be a challenge Judy!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I'm hopeful.....

Laura Leeder said...

Hi Sheila, thank you for commenting.
The backgrounds are always fun to do! It never quite turns out as anticipated!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Eileen, I know I take a risk in posting this complicated piece while I am still working on it.

Alice Saltiel-Marshall said...

It's always interesting to see another artist's process. You handle watercolour with efficient clarity (as it should be handled - from my perspective).
PS I took the what flower are you quiz. I'm a daffodil!

Laura Leeder said...

A daffodil Alice, how suitable for this time of year! A fun quiz!

Laura Leeder said...

Many thanks Jane, I wish you a great week as well!

Laura Leeder said...

From Jane: The composition is beautiful , so thoroughly prepared, thank you for the sneak peak ! Wish you a nice week.

Oops sorry Jane, I accidentaly hit the delete button.

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura - this is certainly looking like a gorgeous painting. I will be waiting to see the final finish. I am sure it will be beautiful. Thank you for sharing your process - love the colors you used in the background. They are so soft and lovely.

Celia Blanco said...

A beautiful beginning, Laura! The composition is romantic and pretty, love the pattern! I enjoy following your process!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...