Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What does Spring, pearls, brooches, and white blossoms all have in common?

"We have a wonderful world to be inspired by and each new day is like an adventure into the unknown, where things that require a second glance can be captured in time on a canvas for anyone to enjoy forever."  ~ Louise Corke






















©Dogwood Blossoms, Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic
   By Laura Leeder, April 29, 2014

Question: What does Spring, pearls, brooches, and white blossoms all have in common?    Answer: All of them are the inspiration for my newest painting of Dogwood Blossoms!

While driving through town today, I noticed several magnolia trees already displaying their heady white blooms like flags announcing Spring.  Some of the ornamental cherry trees are starting to show off as well.  And soon the orchards will be ablaze with colorful, scented blossoms, as the buds are near to bursting.











That drive got me to thinking about the variety of trees growing here in the valley that welcome spring with their blossom display.  Earlier in the week I had been sorting through my jewelry box and I came across a treasured brooch and earrings.  While I sat down to enjoy my afternoon tea my mind was swirling with ideas.

Apple blossoms, cherry blossoms, magnolias and dogwood all came to mind. And the seeds of an idea for my next painting took shape.


These little seed pearls add beauty and interest to my overall design. Plus, they remind me of my favorite pair of clustered seed pearl earrings. Elegant, timeless and fun to wear! At this stage I am adding an acrylic gold paint and a opalescent paint to the leaf and blossom centers.


  




















Dogwood Blossoms (dipped in gold and laden with pearls)
Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic by Laura Leeder
Size:10 x 8 inches

Enjoy your day, and thank you for stopping by, 

Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist

10 comments:

Eileen said...

Flowering trees. Vintage jewelry. It was very fun to hear how you were inspired to create this piece.

Win Dinn said...

What fun, Laura, and I love seeing your inspiration. It's obvious that both your broach and pearl earrings sparked something totally jewel-like!

Judy said...

I love the simple but lovely flowers of dogwood, and you painted them so beautiful, Laura! I love the jewelry too, great inspiration!

Laura Leeder said...

Judy, it all came together so unexpectedly!

Laura Leeder said...

Eileen, my collection of brooches has given me a few more ideas.....

Laura Leeder said...

And more jewel-like pieces to come Win!

Celia Blanco said...

It is fun to see how looking at one object inspires a painting. I love the elegant lines and the colors are breathtaking! I love your jewelry too!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Celia! This one is the start of a new series.....

Laura Moore said...

It is really interesting to hear where an artist gets their ideas from. Love the connection between flowers and pearls. Your painting is gorgeous. The strong lines are a perfect contrast to the softness of the textured background. Just lovely.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Laura! I must say that my jewelry as inspiration is a new one to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...