Thursday, September 25, 2014

I Just Can't Get Enough Of Painting Poppies!

"There is unspeakable beauty and potential to be found in nature. It entices me and is an invitation I just have to accept."  ~ Jil Ashton-Leigh 


Papaver Rhoeas- Study in Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic 
By Laura Leeder, September 2014 
Image Size 10.5 x 9 inches

I just can't get enough of painting poppies! In this study of the common red poppy, I am further exploring the use of acrylic glitter paint and ink with my watercolours. I find myself getting lost in the colours and shapes of these unique and ancient flowers.  Such fun!      

In my first poppy painting (see below), I focused more on creating simple repetitive shapes in an overall pleasing design that suggested both movement and lightness of heart. You can read about it here.

   













Flamenco Dancers - Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic 
By Laura Leeder, September 2014 
Image size 10.5 x 15.5 inches

p.s. The title for this painting was inspired in part by Sheila who commented " Makes me think of Spanish dancers in their ruffled skirts."   I had to agree and chose Flamenco Dancers as the title.   

"Study nature. Exaggerate light; overstate – the less inhibited you are, the better." 
~Sergei Bongart 

For purchase information please contact me by email: lauraleeder@gmail.com
Note cards and bookmarks available soon! 

Recently I was asked by my friend Celia Blanco, who is also an artist and blogger to participate in a "blog hop around the world."  After glancing at my calendar and realizing that I had a number of looming deadlines and far too many commitments in the next few weeks, I declined the offer.   

Celia and I have been following each others blogs for some time and I look forward to each new watercolour painting that she posts.  Her approach is fresh and playful and always colourful.  So please take a moment to check out Celia's blog and her wonderful artwork!  You won't be disappointed!

Have a great weekend, 
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC in the heart of the Kootenays

My artwork can be purchased on-line through my website or Etsy Shop:
My Website: www.lauraleeder.com
Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/ca/shop/lauraleedersart 

6 comments:

Eileen said...

A totally different set of reds make this painting entirely different. Both are lovely.

Win Dinn said...

Love these new poppies, Laura - such lightness of spirit!

Laura Leeder said...

Working with colour is such an endless and fascinating journey!

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Laura - these poppies really pop. I love the mixed media approach. I too blog with Celia and her work is awesome. Hope you have a great week-end.

Celia Blanco said...

Laura, your words really touch me, thank you my friend!
Beautiful painting, I can see you are having fun with these!

Laura Moore said...

I agree poppies are definitely so addictive to paint Laura. Yours are fantastic just as your paintings always are.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...