Sunday, September 7, 2014

Ruffled Poppies My 1st Watercolour Painting For September 2014

"Summer set lip to earth's bosom bare, And left the flushed print in a poppy there."  ~Francis Thompson, "The Poppy," 1891

















Ruffled Poppies, 10.5 x 15.5 inches, Watercolour, Ink & Acrylics
By Laura Leeder, September 2014

I have added the finishing touches to this painting of ruffled poppies.  In the final process I used ink and acrylic glitter paints on both the poppy petals and in the background.  The acrylic paint adds another layer of richness and depth to the painting. The subtle hints of mica throughout are a surprise element that adds even more texture.  While this step does not show up very well in the photograph, I can assure that it is very pretty!      

This was a fun painting to work on and I enjoyed this stylized approach.  I plan to explore this process more in the months to come.  Thanks for stopping by, have a great week!  
    
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist
Creston, BC in the heart of the Kootenays

My artwork can be purchased on-line through my website or Etsy Shop:
My Website: www.lauraleeder.com
Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/ca/shop/lauraleedersart  

7 comments:

Sheila said...

Laura, this is so pretty. Makes me think of Spanish dancers in their ruffled skirts. These blooms are dancing too! Beautiful!

Win Dinn said...

Dancing poppies - how delightful, Laura!

Debbie Nolan said...

Laura - your mix of watercolor/acrylics and ink are just so beautiful. The colors just fall off the page. Thanks for sharing. I do hope you will try another piece using the same style. Have a wonderful week.

Celia Blanco said...

They are so pretty, Laura! I love the rich reds you have achieved.

Jane said...

A wonderful painting Laura, and when you click to enlarge the painting you see all the small details, so pretty !

Eileen said...

You have given the poppies a great depth of colour. I am curious how many layers that might have taken.

Judy said...

I love the stylized poppies, Laura, the details are very beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...