Saturday, May 2, 2015

2015 Spring Floral Painting ~ Vintage Rose In Marsala

Flowers have spoken to me more than I can tell in written words. They are the hieroglyphics of angels, loved by all men for the beauty of their character, though few can decipher even fragments of their meaning. ~Lydia M. Child






















Vintage Rose In Marsala, Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic
By Laura Leeder, May 2015 

"Remembrances of retro delights, folkloric and floral art, and the magical worlds of tropical landscapes restore a sense of well-being as we head into warmer months." ~Leatrice Eiseman

In this stylized, floral painting, I'm taking my cue from the colors forecasted for Spring 2015 by pantone.   Soft, cool hues with touches of warm earthy neutrals.  The suggested rosebuds and berries are commonly seen in Victorian designs and  folk art.  It seemed fitting to include them here.

 Marsala~"Sensual and bold, delicious Marsala is a daringly inviting tone that nurtures; exuding confidence and stability while feeding the body, mind and soul."

The color Marsala is not only showing up for spring but is also reported to be the fashion forward color of the year for 2015. 

Have a great weekend and thank you for stopping by.  I hope that you will take some time to stop and smell the roses, get outside and putter around in your garden, take a walk in the countryside and enjoy all the colors that spring has to offer!

Creatively Yours, 
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist

My website: www.lauraleeder.com
My Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/ca/shop/lauraleedersart 

And if you are in the Creston area, please take in the new art shows by local artists of the valley at both the Creston Public Library and the Chamber Of Commerce.

 

12 comments:

Judy said...

A beautiful rose, Laura, I love the lines that emphasize the curves of the leaves! I love the quote too.

Cora said...

I love this rose painting, Laura. It is very beautiful. Did you use the ink after all the colors had been applied? Thank you for sharing this painting.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Judy, as I look at the rose now, I have some other ideas....perhaps another rose?

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Cora! Some outside edge lines were drawn in after the first wash of colour and more lines and patterns were added as the painting developed.

Win Dinn said...

Oh this is a beauty, Laura - those flowers are just luscious!

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks Win, I have missed painting florals!

Debbie Nolan said...

Oh Laura - this is gorgeous. I think your art and especially your watercolors with the ink are awesome. I love the sound even of that color Marsala. Thanks for sharing. Have a super day.

Laura Leeder said...

Thanks You Debbie! Whenever one steps out of their comfort zone and moves in a different direction it is both exciting and doubtful. A few encouraging words are most appreciated!

Celia Blanco said...

I love the color!! The tones are highlighted beautifully by the surrounding blues,greens then I love how you define it with line. Great work Laura!

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You Celia!

Jane said...

This is perfection, beautiful in every way . Love how you separated the petals , and such a pretty background too !

Laura Leeder said...

Thank You so much Jane! This stylized and explorative way of painting takes me right out of my comfort zone. All the positive feedback is reassuring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...