Saturday, May 9, 2015

Spring Pleasures ~ A New Vintage Rose In The Works

"With repetition, the alternate approaches become clear, options open." 
 ~Robert Genn






















Vintage Rose Kissed In Gold, Watercolour In-Progress
By Artist Laura Leeder, May 2015

After completing last week's vintage rose I found myself thinking about other ways I could have approached the rose painting and as a result I have started another "vintage rose".  I wanted this one to have a softly aged patina and the feeling of warm golden sunshine.  So I've chosen a palette of yellows, greens and blues with yellow being the dominant colour.  

I've used the rose blossom,upper buds and lower leaves of the original design.  I've sketched in a slightly different pattern of small buds, flowers and seed pods around the blossom.  And now to decide on the colour choices for these......

Roses are just one of those flowers that you can paint over and over again and no two will ever look the same.  

I think this quote by George B. Leonard says it best:   

"Satisfaction lies in mindful repetition, the discovery of endless richness in subtle variations on familiar themes."

 Do you have a favorite theme that you like to repeat in your paintings?  

Thanks for stopping by, have a wonderful weekend!  I'm planning to work in my yard, and plant some flowers and maybe a day trip to the lake to relax at the waters edge. 

And to all the Mom's ~Happy Mother Day!

Creatively Yours, 
Laura Leeder, Watercolour Artist


My website: www.lauraleeder.com
My Etsy Shop: www.etsy.com/ca/shop/lauraleedersart 

5 comments:

Win Dinn said...

Nothing better than working in a series to freshen up the Muse! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one will present itself!

Laura Moore said...

Your rose is already looking beautiful Laura. They are such elusive flowers to capture well but you always seem to manage wonderfully.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Very beautiful already, Laura. I am looking forward to seeing the finished rose.

Celia Blanco said...

Beautiful work in progress Laura! I think it is wonderful you keep exploring the rose, I never get tired of painting flowers in general.

Eileen Gidman said...

How fun to have a rose series. I am looking forward to seeing this yellow rose. I always find the shading of yellow so challenging. You do it so well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...