Saturday, May 16, 2015

I've Just Completed My Newest Rose In The Vintage Series

The eye loves repetition, but does not want to be bored. It likes familiarity, but needs surprises.  ~Edith Bergstrom


©Vintage Rose Kissed In Gold, Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic
By Laura Leeder, May 2015 

Vintage Rose Kissed In Gold is my newest rose painting in the vintage series.  I wanted this one to have a softly aged patina and the feeling of warm golden sunshine.  So I've chosen a palette of yellows, greens and blues with yellow being the dominant colour.  

In the initial background wash I charged in a mixture of the above colours with just a touch of red.  I left them to mingle on the surface and while wet I spritzed the wc paper with gold metallic paint and sprinkled on salt.  I allowed this to dry and was pleased to see a close version of my "aged patina" that I had envisioned in my mind.  






















©Vintage Rose In Marsala, Watercolour, Ink & Acrylic
By Laura Leeder, May 2015 

As you can see from the image of the first vintage rose painting above, they are very similar, yet different. 

Both paintings were dropped off at my framer's yesterday and will be included in the local Eastshore Artwalk along the Kootenay Lake in June through September 2015.

And now back to packaging notecards and mailing orders.  

Note: New notecards of these paintings will be available for purchase very soon.  

Shop for my current notecards on-line here and here

Have a wonderful weekend and THANK YOU for stopping by!

Creatively Yours,
Laura Leeder  

6 comments:

Eileen Gidman said...

I admire the greens in this painting. So much variety.

Win Dinn said...

What a gorgeous painting, Laura - the style evokes a feeling akin to the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, and William Morris in particular.

Cora said...

Laura, I find your roses amazing. Your way of painting them is so impressive and unique with those ink lines. They are really lovely.

Christiane Kingsley said...

Your roses are always awesome, Laura.

Laura Leeder said...

Jane Moller said.....

Jane has left a new comment on your post "I've Just Completed My Newest Rose In The Vintage ...":

Both roses are superb , I love the vintage look !

Celia Blanco said...

Amazing roses, Laura! I love the delicate colors in both, I could never favor one. I love them both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...