Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Welcome Spring!


The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size.  ~Gertrude S. Wister

Spring is finally here,  and as the bulbs slowly poke their heads out of the ground, I can hardly wait for them to burst in flower.  I have vases filled with hyacinth, roses and chrysanthemum's scattered around my living room and on display in my bathrooms.  The scent is heavenly and the blossoms fill me with joy.  Inspired by all these bouquets I have started a new floral painting.  

Here is a close-up of the painting in progress:
  
Roses and Pearls (a work in-progress)by Laura Leeder, March 2016
I usually work with a still life set up of flowers and china, so I know what the end result should be and how I will achieve it.  With this one, I've decided to challenge myself to create as I go.  Call it practice, call it play and if I like it........I'll call it a success! 

If nothing else, I am honing my skills, and putting all those odd size cut-offs from full sheets of wc paper to good use.  















Step 1:  I charged in my chosen watercolor paints onto pre-wet paper.  Working quickly and while the paper was still damp, I sprinkled table salt liberally onto the paper.  I then spritzed the paper with an acrylic medium and allowed it to dry. (I like the pattern and texture created)















Step 2: Sketching in a floral design.  After staring at the dry paper for a few minutes, I started to see roses emerge from the colorful pattern swirls.  I chose a spot and started sketching.  My goal is to completely fill the paper.  So far, so good!

Step 3:  Building on the color and line of the floral design.   I'm keeping it simple by only using 2 elements (roses and pearls).  Why pearls?  Because I like them! And they fill in the spaces around the roses nicely.  The roses are slowly emerging from the paper as I continue to add layers of color to them.  The pearl shapes are receiving an acrylic iridescent medium and against the dark background they really sparkle. So far I am liking the results and anxious to get my housecleaning done so that I can get back into the studio and experiment some more!   Painting size is 9 x 12.75 inches.

Have a wonderful and creative week.  (comments are always welcome) 
Laura Leeder


6 comments:

Win Dinn said...

This is such a luscious piece of play, Laura - a wonderful way to hone your skills and get some playtime in too!

Louise said...

Laura, this is exquisite as always. I love the roses combined with the pearls. Very classy!

Celia Blanco said...

The painting is gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing your process,it is neat to see how you work your magic! I love the changes to your blog, very polished!

Alice Saltiel-Marshall said...

I LOVE THIS.
How wonderful to let a painting emerge the way you are.
Who would have thought to spritz acrylic medium on the paper?
And what a brilliant idea to use iridescent medium!
Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Mellowood Gallery said...

This is looking fabulous! Adding the iridescent sounds wonderful and I look forward to seeing it in person and I am sure it will be a success.

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Laura - what a beauty seems to be emerging here. The pearls are certainly a wonderful way to add to these lovely flowers. Hope you have a great day. Hugs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...